Saturday, December 2, 2023

Disneyland Magic Key Holder Tote Bag: DIY Upgrade

I upgraded my 2023 Disneyland Magic Key holder tote bag with a bit of sewing: (1) added interfacing for structure, (2) added a lining, (3) boxed the corners, and (4) added a zipper. Now it can stand up on its own, and I feel safer knowing that the zipper will prevent stuff from accidentally falling out! Plus, I think it looks better than the original!

In 2022 and 2023 during the holidays, one of the perks that Disneyland gave to their Magic Key Holders (a.k.a. annual pass holders) was giving out Magic Key Holder exclusive tote bags.

In 2022, it was a reusable plastic shopping bag.


In 2023, it was a smaller fabric tote bag. But being fabric, it was already nicer and much appreciated.


However after receiving it, I realized how thin and flimsy the fabric was, and how it didn’t really feel nice when carrying stuff in it. I wanted to be able to carry it around like a purse. So with a bit of sewing, I upgraded it. Here’s how I did it: 

  1. I unpicked the folded top seam and detached the bag handles. From this point onward, I will refer to the original bag as the shell. 
  2. I measured the height and width of the shell.  Then I cut out two pieces of felt and two pieces of lining fabric in those same dimensions.
  3. I sewed the lining pieces right side together on 3 side, leaving the top open. 
  4. I repeated Step 3 on the felt pieces.
  5. With right sides facing each other, I marked a 2-inch square at each bottom corner of the lining, and then boxed the corners.
  6. I repeated step 5 on the felt layer and the shell.
  7. Turned the shell right side out. Turned the felt layer and lining wrong sides out.
  8. Inserted the felt layer (which will serve as interfacing) inside the shell.
  9. Inserted the lining inside the felt layer.
  10. Folded the top hem of shell down. 
  11. Tucked both edges of a16-inch zipper underneath the folded shell hem. Pin in place.
  12. Pin the handle straps into place onto the shell, making sure to tuck the strap ends underneath the folded shell hem.
  13. Sew along the top and bottom edges of the folded hem.
VoilĂ ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment