Sunday, July 24, 2016

Tote bag upcycled from a broken umbrella

One of my souvenir umbrellas broke. I bought it during a tropical storm at Walt Disney World. I wanted to keep the logo image of the umbrella, as well as save as much as I could from a landfill. So I decided to turn it into a reusable shopping bag.
First I salvaged the fabric from the umbrella frame.  Then I separated the panels at the seams.
Next I arranged the triangles in an alternating pattern to make a slanted rectangular shape.  I only needed to use 6 out of the 8 panels.
I sewed each of them together (using a French seam) to make a tube.
Then I sewed the bottom of the tube shut (again using a French seam).
I used one of the remaining 2 panels to make straps.
I hemmed the edges of the the straps, then sewed them onto the top of the bag.  Then I hemmed the top of the bag. 

I salvaged the Velcro strap from the umbrella and attached it to the seam of the handle.

When rolled up, that strap comes in very handy for compact storage.

I'm quite pleased with how this bag turned out. So now, instead of waiting for it to rain to remember my trip to Walt Disney World, I can remember it whenever I go shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment