Sunday, October 22, 2017

Upcycled baby clothes: DIY Donald Duck inspired Minnie Mouse Ears


I had been wanting to make a pair of DIY Minnie Mouse Ears for quite some time. After sifting thru the "to donate" pile of my son's baby & toddler clothes (for upcycled fabric), and browsing thru Pinterest, I finally decided on what to make.  On Pinterest I saw a Christmas ornament inspired by Donald Duck. I really liked the mix of primary colors & knew that I had those colors in the fabric.

I didn't take photos of my process, but I essentially followed this YouTube tutorial.  I used sew-in interfacing similarly to how she layered two different fabrics together. The main difference is that I machine sewed each ear together. I also sewed a fabric cover for the headband.  I did use a glue gun to temporarily hold each ear to the fabric-covered headband, but then I hand-sewed each ear to the headband to make it really secure.

The only new material purchased was the plastic headband. But the rest of the materials were upcycled or from my stash:
- polyfill (upcycled from an old pillow)
- yellow fabric (upcycled from my son's onesie)
- blue fabric (upcycled from my son's toddler pajama shorts)
- white fabric (scraps from an upcycled undershirt from another project)
- sew-in interfacing (scraps from an upcycled oxford shirt from another project)
- foam sheet (from my stash)
- red ribbon (originally was part of retail packaging for a throw blanket)

I'm quite pleased with the way that headband came out. I ended up giving it to my Mom as a gift for an upcoming Disney trip. Besides the fact that it's made from my son's baby/toddler clothes & handmade by me makes it all the more sentimental & meaningful for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment